
I graduated from Warren High School in 2002 and the four years I spent in high school were more than memorable, mainly because of my involvement in the girls basketball program.
Playing basketball throughout high school was a challenge, as I tried to balance grades, work, volunteer service, and other extracurricular activities. But being a part of a team not only gave me something to do, but it kept me in shape and introduced me to some of the most infuencial people in my life. I will never forget the numerous memories - both good and bad - that came from my time with my coaches and teammates (pictured above).
Every year, the girls basketball program hosts a fundraiser that invites alumni to return to the court in a game against the school's current varsity team. I have played in a few of the alumni games over the years with this year being one of them.
I didn't go on to play college basketball so the only time I spend on the court nowadays is with my brother at the park or for my church's basketball league. So needless to say, I knew last Wednesday night was going to be interesting.
The game, which I consider to be more like a scrimmage, was fun and well, tiring. We had about 15 alumni return to play, many of which had graduated this year and last. There were a few girls from 2002 and one from the class of 1995. The game was the first for this year's varisty team and although they needed to take it seriously, I think they took it too seriously. I mean come on, did they really think we were going to win?
We didn't win, but the margin of loss was the closest I've seen it in the years I've played. I had a couple of good defensive plays and walked away with a nice bruise on my left knee. All in all, it was a great night - we got to play with some of our teammates, talk with some of the varsity players, and raise some money for the program!
~Brooke
1 comment:
you're #15 right? No. 23 looks like she can kick some butt
Post a Comment