Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Last Lecture

My family and I decided to spend our Sunday evening watching Randy Pausch's last lecture, titled, "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams." My dad purchased Pausch's book, "The Last Lecture," and DVD after watching a primetime segment about Pausch and his battle with pancreatic cancer.

My dad read the book first and then passed it along to me. In the middle of me reading it, I suggested to the rest of the family while on a camping trip that we should all read it and watch the lecture together. They thought it was a great idea and after the book got passed along and completed by my brothers and mom, we sat down and watched the lecture.

Before I go any further, for those who aren't familiar with Pausch, he was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University who was known primarily for his brilliance in virtual reality and his ability to have fun in all aspects of life, all the while achieving his childhood dreams. Pausch was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and after finding out he had three to six months to live, was asked by CMU to deliver his "last lecture," imparting unforgettable experiences and volumes of wisdom to a lecture hall filled with more than 400 students, colleagues, and family members. Pausch passed away on July 24, leaving behind a legacy that has inspired millions of people.

There is so much to be said about Pausch and what he left behind for the world. The best way to glean from him would be to read his book and watch his lecture (which is linked above). But to give you a taste of what Pausch has passed on, here is what he had to say in Part V of his book, titled, "It's About How to Live Your Life:"

-Dream BIG: "Give yourself permission to dream."
-Earnest is better than hip: "Earnest is long-term."
-Don't complain...just work harder: "Complaining does not work as a strategy."
-Don't obsess over what people think: "If I haven't said anything, you have nothing to worry about."
-Look for the best in everybody: "If you wait long enough, people will surprise and impress you."
-Get people's attention: "The first step to solving an ignored problem."
-Loyalty is a two-way street: "Be loyal."
-Show gratitude: "Go out and do for others what somebody did for you."
-All you have is what you bring with you: "Be prepared."
-A bad apology is worse than no apology: "Proper apologies have three parts - 1. What I did was wrong, 2. I feel badly that I hurt you, and 3. How do I make this better?"
-Tell the truth: "Tell the truth all the time - you're only as good as your word."
-Get in touch with your crayon box: "Smelling a crayon takes you right back to childhood."
-No job is beneath you: "You ought to be thrilled you got a job in the mailroom. And when you get there, here's what you do: Be really great at sorting mail."
-Know where you are: "If you can find your footing between two cultures, sometimes you can have the best of both worlds."
-Never give up: "If you want something bad enough, never give up (and take a boost when offered)."
-Be a communitarian: "Everyone has to contribute to the common good."
-All you have to do is ask: "Sometimes, all you have to do is ask, and it can lead to all your dreams coming true."

Pausch's book and lecture is filled with a plethora of advice and numerous reminders of how to make the best of life, no matter how long- or short-lived. But the three jewels of wisdom I personally walked away with are the following:

1. Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things.
2. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
3. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

~Brooke

2 comments:

Ilan Cloud said...

Watched the "Last Lecture" on You Tube last week. It always inspires me to learn from people who live life to the fullest potential.

Here's my favorite one: -Don't complain...just work harder: "Complaining does not work as a strategy."

Thanks for the post Brooke. Keep up the hard work, I know it will pay off soon!

denamarie said...

I have not watched or read the book, but after hearing what you have to say about it, I'll look into it. I have heard a lot of good things about this man & the famous "Last Lecture".

When you hear of a young, good person loosing a battle with cancer it always puts things into perspective for me. My problems aren't so bad anymore & I have a ton to be thankful for.

Our days are numbered, & we don't know how long is left for us here on this world like this man did, but I pray that I may rise to the occasion & serve & honor or Lord as He has equipped me to do.

This story, from what I have heard has impacted many people's hearts for the better, let this inspire us to leave such a legacy.

I am not sure if this man was a Christian or not, but an even better reminder that all we do here on earth is nothing in the kingdom of God if we don't have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Our purpose is to bring God glory, honor & praise, not to impress our family & friends with a great legacy. But when our heart are in the right place, our family & friends will be impressed without us even trying.

Thank you for sharing this man's story with all of us Brooke. It gives people like me encouregment & challenges me to use my gifts, talents & time wisely.