I'm no political analyst, but I'm not too sold on presidential candidate John McCain's running mate Sarah Palin.
I don't really care to talk much about politics, (as I don't know nearly enough to hold an intellectual conversation) but let's just state the obvious: Palin appears to be very inexperienced, which is ironic considering McCain uses that very charge against Democratic candidate Barack Obama.
Palin, 44, is a first-term governor for Alaska, a position she gained after challenging Alaska's Republican leadership and promising to clean up a government corruption scandal. She opposes abortion and supports gun ownership, and was appointed to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission in 2003.
Now I'm sure she has a lot more to offer and I can guarantee McCain put much thought into his decision. I just can't help but question his reasoning. Did he choose a woman to get the "women's vote" (essentially, those who would have voted for Hillary Clinton)? Did he choose Palin because of her age, knowing his age is an issue amongst voters? Just why did he choose her?
I mean, what does the GOP have to say about all of this? Are they completely behind him, supporting his choice, or did they advise him otherwise?
More importantly, in the event that McCain passes away while in office, can she handle the bill as president? Is this who we want to run our country? I am by no means a fan of Obama and would vote for McCain just to keep Obama out...but I'm not sure that McCain is the best choice - I feel he's made a bad choice, and he hasn't even been elected yet.
Political scientist Costas Panagopoulos said it best: "Palin will face intense scrutiny by the media and by voters who need assurance that she is ready to assume the presidency at a moment's notice, if necessary."
Palin has a lot to prove before November 7.
~Brooke
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment