Sunday is always spent at home - it's the one day a week our family is guaranteed time with each other. A typical Sunday usually goes like this: we go to church together, enjoy a home-cooked meal (which in the summertime means my dad firing up the grill), and the rest of the day is spent watching football, reading a book, or in many cases, watching a movie together. Oh, and I can't forget - most Sundays, if not all, are concluded with a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies, compliments of Mama Karli.
So tonight we all decided to gather with cookies in hand to watch the 2008 MTV Music Video Awards, where I was personally looking forward to performances by Paramore and The Ting Tings. We survived Britney Spears' opening act (which, by the way, I was very impressed with and am glad to see her a little more put together this time around) and got through Rihanna's performace of "Disturbia," a disturbing twist to Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
Anyways, the show's host Russell Brand - who himself admitted he wasn't popular in America, but rather in the United Kingdom - ruined the show within the first five minutes of opening his mouth.
Here is what he had to say:
"People of America...please elect Barack Obama...on behalf of the world. Some people, I think they're called racists, say America is not ready for a black president, but I know America to be a forward thinking country, right, because otherwise would you have let that retarded cowboy fella be president for eight years...We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go because, in England, George Bush wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."
THIS JUST IN: Award shows are NOT open forums for political nonsense. I HATE when celebrities talk politics when delivering a monologue, performing a song, or accepting an award. It is NOT the time nor place to discuss such things. I watch award shows to be entertained. But then again, MTV lacks entertainment in their regular programming so why expect more for their annual awards night? (Tell me, when did Music Television turn into reality television?)
And before I go on, I would be just as upset if Brand was promoting McCain, because again, it's not the time nor place. What upset me more is that Brand crossed the line, bashing the Republican candidates, referring to McCain's running mate Sarah Palin as a "VILF: Vice- President I'd Like to Fumble, Fondle." Brand continued by poking fun at the teenage father of Palin's unborn granddaughter, saying he was thrust into the Republican Party because his lack of protected sex with Palin's daughter was now the GOP's latest publicity stunt.
Ugh...shut up and go back to Britain!
We couldn't believe what we were hearing and decided to watch something a tad more honorable and respectful: ABC's America United: In Support of Our Troops.
~Brooke
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment