I was a little saddened when I woke up to a gloomy day today. I guess it is fitting, however, considering today's significance - the 7th anniversary of when our beloved country was attacked.It may be cliche to blog about the events that took place on Sept. 11, 2001, but the day should never be forgotten, nor should the chilling images I - and many of you - will forever have engraved in our minds.
I remember the day like it was yesterday: It was the second week of school my senior year of high school. I was running late so I got ready without the TV or radio being on. I jumped in my car, popped in a CD and made my way to school. It wasn't until I got to school that I had heard what had happened. I was scared. I was confused. And I didn't know what was going to happen next.
The first time I saw images of the planes plunging into the World Trade Center was in my second period class, where my math teacher cancelled the day's lesson to mourn our country's most devastating attack. I couldn't believe my eyes. I wanted to look away, but wanted to watch at the same time. How could someone do this? Who did this? And what are we doing about it?
I remember seeing the buildings collapse and watching people falling to their death. I remember thinking how brave our uniformed men and women were (and still are) as they tried to save as many lives as possible, all the while risking their own. And I remember crying - balling - when people were being rescued from under the rubble.
Then there was our flag: One beat-up tattered flag flapping to and fro in the New York wind, vibrant and striking considering the circumstances. And that's when it hit...we ARE America and we WILL overcome the very things that are trying to destroy us.
~Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment