It's more than a week since President-elect Barack Obama was voted into office and as polls were dissected and campaigns were compared, one question remained: why was it that so many people turned out to vote this time around?
Many would hope it was because people were interested in our country's political process and looking to change the very things affecting them. But as I soon learned, it seems that many voters (the majority being minorities) voted simply to get an African-American in office.
Now before I continue, let me make it clear that I have absolutely no issue with having an African-American president and although Obama wasn't my personal choice, he is still the leader of our country and for that I support and respect him. After all, he made American history and has provided so many people with hope and aspiration.
Moving on, I was appalled at the idea of someone voting for a new leader simply because of his skin color. I feel that regardless of your ethnicity, gender, age, religion, and even political party, you should vote for who you feel is right for the job.
As I thought about this more, I realized that there are many things that influence the American people in the way they vote. People are constantly bombarded by their churches, schools, families and friends as to how to vote. We all know politics is a touchy subject and there are families and churches that become divided on the very issue. So I can see where people are torn as to how to vote.
But let's stop and think about this for a minute...if we voted according to our own beliefs, morals, standards and expectations, how much more different would our country be? Would the same people have made it into office? Would the same propositions have passed?
We live in a country founded on freedom and I think it's time that we vote freely according to our values without fearing the reprocussions of those around us who disagree.
~Brooke
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment