Friday, December 19, 2008

RIP San Pedro Magazine

In yet another sign of the times, the Press-Telegram has ceased publication of San Pedro Magazine and laid off its editor, Josh Stecker.

For more than seven years, local advertisers have faithfully supported the magazine, but the publication was a cost the Press-Telegram just couldn't afford.

"I want to be very clear that my parting from the Press-Telegram was an amicable one," Stecker stated in a release. "The situation that unfolded this past week was due to the incredible hardships facing the newspaper industry as a whole. I do not envy those in charge at the Press-Telegram, they have a huge mountain to climb and have to deal with a huge corporation that has completely lost focus of what it means to produce a quality local newspaper for the community. It's sad, really. Newspapers are dying, but magazines are alive and kicking."

Stecker may no longer be employed by the Press-Telegram, but that's not stopping him from producing a new, independently owned and operated monthly magazine for his hometown of San Pedro.

"Premiering the week of January 5, 2009, San Pedro Today will have the same great 30,000-copy circulation (still the largest circulation publication in San Pedro), free delivery to homes and condos, the beautiful glossy cover, and include all the great columnists and contributors who helped make the former publication the success it was," he announced. "I'm taking the best parts of what made San Pedro Magazine great and enhancing it with all the features I wanted to do but could never get done working for my former corporation."

I have only been working with Stecker for a few months now, but he is truly a person who is passionate about what he does. I was sad when I heard of his departure from the Press-Telegram, but was confident that the situation would not hold him back, but rather motivate him to continue to produce a quality publication for the city of San Pedro.

Thank you to all of the advertisers who have jumped onboard by continuing to give of their advertising dollars. We hope to serve you in the very same way you serve us.

~Brooke

No comments: