
One of my first official jobs was working as a waitress at Bakers Square Restaurant located at Paramount Boulevard and Imperial Highway in Downey. For more than three years, I served plate after plate of homestyle-cooked food to customers who faithfully frequented the restaurant for their favorite dishes, and of course, pie.
Unfortunately, the restaurant is closing after more than 20 years of serving Downey. I'm not too sure as to the reasons behind the closure, but I can only assume that it has everything to do with our nation's dwindling economy.
This may sound really corny, but the thought of the restaurant closing makes me sad. I spent many hours there and not only built longlasting friendships with those I worked with, but also with those who ate there. I loved being a waitress and my experiences at Bakers Square have proved helpful in many aspects of my life, escpecially when it comes to providing excellent customer service.
There are so many memories to choose from when I reflect on my time at the restaurant but the one that stands out the most is that of my very last day. Believe it or not, my last day at Bakers Square was pretty emotional...I guess I didn't realize how attached I was to my job. My shift began with my family surprising me with a goodbye party and as the evening continued, numerous co-workers and customers (all of whom knew I was leaving) came into the restaurant to say their goodbyes and show their gratitude with cards and small gifts. I not only felt appreciated, but also very loved. I ended the night with one last walk-through of the restaurant because it would be the last time I would be known as "Brooke, the Bakers Square waitress."
I left the restaurant simply because I was offered a phenomenal job at the Downey YMCA as a lifeguard and swim instructor, but never have I had so much fun at a job and never have I been so sad to leave a job.
Bakers Square may not be Johnie's Broiler, but it was still a favorite amongst those in Downey and definitely a treasure chest of memories for myself and those who have worked there.
~Brooke
Unfortunately, the restaurant is closing after more than 20 years of serving Downey. I'm not too sure as to the reasons behind the closure, but I can only assume that it has everything to do with our nation's dwindling economy.
This may sound really corny, but the thought of the restaurant closing makes me sad. I spent many hours there and not only built longlasting friendships with those I worked with, but also with those who ate there. I loved being a waitress and my experiences at Bakers Square have proved helpful in many aspects of my life, escpecially when it comes to providing excellent customer service.
There are so many memories to choose from when I reflect on my time at the restaurant but the one that stands out the most is that of my very last day. Believe it or not, my last day at Bakers Square was pretty emotional...I guess I didn't realize how attached I was to my job. My shift began with my family surprising me with a goodbye party and as the evening continued, numerous co-workers and customers (all of whom knew I was leaving) came into the restaurant to say their goodbyes and show their gratitude with cards and small gifts. I not only felt appreciated, but also very loved. I ended the night with one last walk-through of the restaurant because it would be the last time I would be known as "Brooke, the Bakers Square waitress."
I left the restaurant simply because I was offered a phenomenal job at the Downey YMCA as a lifeguard and swim instructor, but never have I had so much fun at a job and never have I been so sad to leave a job.
Bakers Square may not be Johnie's Broiler, but it was still a favorite amongst those in Downey and definitely a treasure chest of memories for myself and those who have worked there.
~Brooke
2 comments:
Brooke! Baker's Square is closing? What the heck?! I used to live down the street from them and would order chili whenever I ate there. Aww, I'm sad now. What are they going to replace it with? Oh, let me guess: Starbucks.
Hey! Sweet blog. So yeah, I was sad to find out about this. Baker's Square was my first real job...it will be missed.
Post a Comment