Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fear Not

Tonight at church, we talked about the meaning of Jesus Christ's death on the cross. It was expressed that his crucifixion was a symbol of how anyone can overcome death. Meaning, when someone decides to devote their life to Christ, they essentially "die" to their old self and "resurrect" as a new creation. Because of the evening's topic, these questions were asked of us: Are we afraid of death? What do we fear? And, how do we overcome those fears?

I have never really been afraid of death, per say. However, what I do fear is the idea of dying before I've experienced life to its fullest and before I've accomplished the very things that God had given me passion and vision for. I also fear the death of my loved ones - there are just some people I don't think I could live without.

Now, I do believe that once I've passed on, I will experience an eternity in a place far too extravagant to fathom. I have this feeling that once I get to that place, I'll wonder why I ever wanted to live longer in the first place. But for now, I'm human, and I want to experience life. I figure if I have to be here, I might as well live it.

I also had some time to reflect on the things I fear. There are many things I fear on a day-to-day basis, such as receiving a pink slip at work, failing my family and friends, and not being the example God wants me to be. And then there are those things that I fear on more of a long-term scale, such as never finding someone to grow old with, being told I wouldn't be able to have kids, and not having the career I desire and have worked so hard towards. Fortunately, I don't think I'm alone in these fears.

Once I was home and walked into my room, I noticed one of the frames on my wall was crooked. Inside the frame is an inspirational message written by Marianne Williamson. My parents gave it to me last year when I lost my job at the paper and I feared that my credibility - and career - was forever gone. That whole situation caused me to lose faith in myself and in many ways, my confidence and trust in God. Needless to say, when I read the message, I fell to tears. Here's what it says:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I see this frame everyday, but I rarely get the chance to read it. So to come home and have my attention drawn to it tonight meant a lot and it reminded me that I really have nothing to be afraid of.

~Brooke

No comments: