Today was just another one of those days - I had the day off of work, but spent the majority of my day cleaning the house and running errands. Let's face it, we live in the kind of society that has to "catch up" on their days off.
But while on my way home from Target this evening, I couldn't help but notice a magnificent sunset. Now, I'm a huge fan of sunsets and have seen my share of them throughout my lifetime, but today, the golden-tangerine sky meant something different to me...
Looking up at the sky not only reminded me of God's majesty, but also of the fact that I rarely stop long enough to recognize a good thing - even if it's right in front of me. I think I'm just as guilty as anyone when it comes to getting so wrapped up in life and our daily routines that we just fail to stop, breathe, and enjoy our day, our environment, our being.
Granted, our individual situations and problems may not change or improve from day to day, but with each new day comes a new beginning. That may mean a new perspective, a new motivation, or heck, maybe even a new pair of shoes. I think we all know not to take life too seriously and, more importantly, not to take it for granted. Maybe we just need to take it one day at a time.
Walter Hagen said it simply: "You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way."
It is so easy to get caught up in life and the drama that comes attached to it, but when you take a step back and look at the big picture, the extremety of your problems seem to dwindle.
All I'm really trying to say is enjoy life. I understand that we all have responsibilities. We all have to work and balance our finances. We have relationships to repair and cultivate. We have homes and businesses to run. But let's not forget to stop and smell the flowers along the way.
Or in this case, stop to appreciate a beautiful sunset.
~Brooke
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Brookie Brookie.
Congratulations. You are are growing up now and realizing these things. It's all a process and you can only really realize these things on your own, with your owen experiences/sunsets.
Life is very simple and we tend to complicate it and get caught up in the middle. Like you said, when you step back you can see things clearly. It's like trying to untie a knot from the inside. Usually you look from a small distance to find the loop that unravels your freedom and inner peace.
People say life is too short and as you mention we are only here for a small period of time. Well, I disagree. I think life is VERY LONG which is why we need to make the best of it. We have a lot more time than we think to do and see the things we want to see. I think we take time for granted and forget to realize that times is on our side.
So enjoy your time! Everything else will fall into place!
Sebastian
Post a Comment