The March issue of San Pedro Today has been out for more than a week now, and for this particular issue, I contributed two stories: one about San Pedro High School softball player Bryana Simpson, and the other about San Pedro's very own Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club.
Bryana is the first athlete to be featured in the magazine's newest addition, "High School Athlete of the Month." And I can't think of anyone better to kick-off the new feature. Bryana is quite the all-star, both on the field and in the classroom. The high school senior currently holds a 3.5 GPA, proof as to why the Carson resident attends San Pedro High as part of the San Pedro High School Math and Science Magnet Program. Her senior year marks her fourth year as a member of the school's varsity softball team and when she has time, the 17-year-old volunteers at the Urban Youth Academy at Compton College.
Bryana recently signed with Concordia University as an outfielder and will begin at the university this fall. Needless to say, this teen is talented and I wish her and her family the best!
The March issue also includes a feature I did on San Pedro's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club. I visited the club a few months ago and had the honor of being introduced not only to the club's owner, Pedro Soriano, but also to the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
In short, the sport - as Pedro would say - is 'a gentle art,' one that is strike free and focuses on the scientific nature of fighting, relying on an individual's balance, pressure points, leverage, and gravity in order to execute specific movements. The feature goes into detail of the sport's history in Brazil and the United States and also includes the club's hours and rates.
The club is currently preparing for an upcoming tournament and I wish them all the best success!
~Brooke
Friday, March 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment